Kheer or Firni is a rice pudding, originating from the Indian subcontinent, made by boiling with milk and sugar one of the following: rice, broken wheat, tapioca, vermicelli, sweet corn, etc. It is flavoured with cardamom, raisins, saffron, cashews, pistachios, almonds or other dry fruits and nuts. It is typically served during a meal or as a dessert. It originated at the hands of Muslims of India. It also has many variaities which are not as thick as the Kheer, they are known as meetha bhaat, payasam, payasa etc.
- 5 Cups Milk, full cream
- 1/4 Cup Rice (washed)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 10-12 Raisins
- 4 Green cardamoms
- 10-12 Almonds (shredded), blanched
HOW TO MAKE RICE KHEER
- Boil the rice and milk in a deep pan.
- Simmer over low flame, stirring occasionally till the rice is cooked and the milk becomes thick.
- When done add sugar, raisins and cardamoms.
- Stir till sugar gets dissolved properly.
- Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with almonds.
- Serve hot or chilled.